Diplomatic relations were established between the United Arab Emirates and the Kingdom of Spain on November 10, 1972, as the bilateral relations between the two countries witnessed a remarkable development since then and the UAE maintained its position as a major trading partner of the Kingdom of Spain in the Arab Gulf region, as well as the continued exchange of high-level visits between the two countries.
And which culminated in the signing of several bilateral cooperation agreements in many fields: political, economic and cultural, which made the bilateral relations between the two countries characterized by depth and rapprochement at all levels.
In this context, His Excellency Ambassador Dr. Hessa Al-Otaiba, the former ambassador of the United Arab Emirates to the Kingdom of Spain, during the year 2017-2018 a series of meetings with senior officials in the Spanish government to discuss ways to enhance cooperation between the two countries and exchange views on various issues of common interest at the international and regional levels.
1) From the UAE side:
- - The visit of His Highness Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and his meeting during this visit with His Majesty King Philip VI of the Kingdom of Spain and the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Spain at that time, His Excellency Alfonso Dastis, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Spain, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives His Excellency Anna Pastor, and the President of the Senate His Excellency Pio Escudero.
- The visit of His Excellency the UAE Minister of Energy, Engineer Suhail Muhammad Al Mazrouei, on more than one occasion, and his meeting in one of his official visits with His Excellency Marisa Pontella García, Minister of State for Spanish Trade, and His Excellency Sebastian Albia Amigo, Chairman of the National Committee for the Spanish Stock Market, in addition to attending Board of Directors meetings CEPSA, 100% owned by the Petroleum Investment Corporation (IPIC).
- The visit of His Excellency Dr. Ali Rashid Al Nuaimi, Head of the Hidayat International Center for Excellence in Combating Violent Extremism, and his meeting during this visit with His Excellency Enrique Mora Benabenti, Director General of Foreign Policy and Security at the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and His Excellency Elena Jometh Castro, Director General of Spanish Defense Policy, along with officials of the Ministry in charge with a defense strategy.
- The visit of His Excellency Dr. Amin Hussein Al-Amiri, Assistant Undersecretary for Public Health Policy and Licensing at the Ministry of Health and Community Protection, and his meeting during this visit with Spanish officials in the Spanish Ministry of Health.
2) From the Spanish side:
- The visit of His Excellency/ Luis de Guindos, Minister of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness, and His Excellency/ Marisa Pontela, Minister of State for Spanish Trade, to the UAE in October 2017 on the occasion of the fourth session of the UAE-Spain Joint Economic Committee.
- The visit of His Excellency / Augustin Conde, Minister of State for Defense Affairs, to attend the 12th International Defense Exhibition and Conference "IDEX 2017" from 17 to 23 March 2017 at the Abu Dhabi Exhibition Center.
- The visit of His Excellency / Julio Gomith Bomar, Minister of State for Infrastructure, Transport and Housing, and His Excellency / Juan Alvaro, President of the Spanish National Railways Network (Renfe), to participate in the Middle East Railways Conference and Exhibition "MiddleEastRail 2017" that was held in Dubai from 7 To March 8, 2017.